Zoning: How To Use Zoning To Create The Desired Neighborhood
Wednesday, April 11, 2018 9:30 AM - 1:00 PM (Eastern Time)
Newark HUD Office
One Newark Center
1085 Raymond Blvd., 13th Floor
Newark, New Jersey 07102
Workshop Cost: $75
Zoning is a major redevelopment tool to meet land use planning objectives and comprehensive revitalization strategies. As a planning tool, zoning can co-exist successfully with other tools and incentives to create a more desirable neighborhood. This half-day workshop will examine the advantages and limitations of zoning, and discuss conventional zoning ordinances and the use of other incentives, codes and innovative techniques used to achieve the desired community vision. Specifically, the workshop will discuss overlay zoning, design standards, form-based codes, density bonuses, and other strategies, with a special emphasis on inclusionary zoning.
Hear how other cities across the country have used inclusionary zoning to promote affordable housing, including recently Newark, New Jersey, and discuss the policy issues and myths associated with inclusionary zoning. Participants will also learn how to use other zoning tools and incentives to create economic diversity, walkable communities, mixed-use and mixed-income neighborhoods.
The key learning objectives are:
- Explain the value of conventional zoning and how zoning can positively affect value;
- Look at the differences between form-based codes and conventional zoning;
- Examine zoning ordinances and other incentives and strategies used to foster the desired neighborhood;
- Learn the pros and cons associated with inclusionary zoning and discuss the City of Newark inclusionary zoning ordinance; and
- Encourage municipalities to consider all available zoning tools, strategies and incentives to achieve their community vision.